So you have a computer system you infected by a virus your current anti-virus software can’t eliminate. You try downloading other software, but that doesn’t help. You final hope is going to the local geek shop and having them repair your system for more money than you’d like to spend, right? Wrong. In this very,… Read more Manually De-virusing a Windows System
Got this while using Word 2007: (Click image for full size image.) If you’re too lazy to click on the image, here’s what it says: “There are too many spelling or grammatical errors in ‘Core.docx’ to continue displaying them…” How bad of a speller do you have to be to get THIS error message? Holy… Read more The Greatest Microsoft Word Error Message?
While I’m not into the FOSS (Free and Open Source Software) movement as I was in the past, I feel that one of the things new people dealing with that community should understand is the different types of people they’ll encounter. With that in mind, here are the four types for users of FOSS.
As someone who runs multiple blogs, one of the most annoying aspects of my work is having to log into various sites when writing. That means I have to keep track of multiple lists of published and unpublished posts and be online if I want to get something ready for publication. Sure, I could use… Read more Blogging Software (Mostly) for the Mac
To 99% of the population, the web is still a place. Something we go visit. Soon the web will become not only where we are, but who we are. In time we will realize how much of a societal shift the web will have caused. I think it’s fundamental the other 1% understand that. —… Read more The Web and Who We Are
(If you can, read this post out loud. Who knows, others may thank you. Or they may threaten you with assault. Either way, a good time will be had by all.) For a while now, I’ve been buying shows on DVD. Why? Because I don’t want to have to endure one second of a show… Read more Why I Want to Get an AppleTV
As I write this, my old Linux computer, the XCube, sits in the corner of my office, ready to be shipped off to my in-laws. It’s a bittersweet sight. On one hand, that computer has been with me for almost four years, and it’s still extremely capable: a 3.2GHz Intel P4, 1GB RAM (I forget… Read more Switch Made: From Linux to Apple’s Mac OS X
It’s a shock to me, too. For years — almost a decade now — I’ve been using Linux almost exclusively at home. I’ve downloaded and installed countless distributions, and have lived with nothing but open sourced and free software, which has served my needs as well as any (Well, I will admit to the guilty… Read more Switching from Linux to Mac OS X
Depends on when you ask.
I know, I know… probably has to do more with the extensions than with the browser.