Movie Preview Review: Aeon Flux

Aeon Flux, The MovieAfter years of rumors and speculation, the long awaited Aeon Flux movie is about to hit the big screen.

The movie story line is basically this: in 2011 a huge plague wipes out 99% of the Earth’s population. By the looks of the movie, it was the ugly 99%. The remaining 1% — or “the beautiful people” — decide to set up a perfect society inside a walled city. Four-hundred (400) years later, the walled city has become a totalitarian regime, governing what appears to be a perfect society. Aeon Flux (Charlize Theron) is on the front lines of a rebellion looking to expose the truth about their society. The film is directed by Karyn Kusama (who also directed Girlfight), written by Philip Hay & Matt Manfredi, and is (of course) based on the MTV animated series created by Peter Chung.

Aeon Flux, The Movie

(Maybe it’s just me, but this entire “It’s not all as it seems to be” theme is really starting to show up everywhere.)

In the tradition of Star Wars, Batman, The Matrix and every other themed sci-fi movie that has come out since 1999(ish), Aeon Flux will not only be in the theaters, but a new series of “comics” based on the movie/show, published by Darkhorse Comics will be coming out. Sadly, the crappy drawings in this comic will be even crappier than the animation on the actual MTV show, though thankfully it looks like the women in the comic will be more than just lips, legs, breasts, and butt.

(Sidenote: Remind me again why they’re still called “comics”? I don’t think I’ve seen a funny graphic novel in the years I’ve been in this country. Unless you count the Beavis and Butthead spin-off that, though I’ve never seen it, I’m sure existed.)

On top of that, of course, there’s the mandatory video game deal. The video game is based on the MTV cartoon show, as well as the movie, so even if the movie tanks, the game may not. (Although this usually happens the other way around, so don’t expect to see this game in any Top 10 lists, unless that list just happens to be for the “Top 10 Games About Movies in 2005 Based on a Pre-Existing Sci-Fi Show”.)

Conclusion: The movie looks pretty good, right off the bat. At least, better than The Fantastic Four, which I still haven’t seen because it looks like it’s total crap. If it’s true to the series, the movie will have more violence than you can shake a stick at, a great story line — and probably at least maybe likely an eye full of sexy scenes. You can see the movie preview for yourself here.

This preview gets a random four out of five asterisks. ****_

As for the movie, it has the potential to do really well. Keyword: Potential. Here’s hoping.

Share your thoughts